Monday, March 30, 2009

The Last of the Blythe Woolly Lamb Hoods, Happy Swirly Cupcakes, and Make a Magnetic Pin Holder in 5 Minutes Tutorial

I told myself I would not make any more of these because they are a bit difficult to sew, but I only had about 1/4 yard of the faux wool fabric left over, and in my never ending quest to use what I have, I decided to just go for it and use it all up. Goodbye Woolly Fabric! My sewing machine and I won't miss wrestling with your darn poofy-ness!

I haven't made any Happy Swirly Cupcakes in awhile so I whipped some up for the shop. I used to do the cup parts in all sorts of colors, but now I think I'll stick with yellow. It just looks more cake-y to me. I think yellow is a wonderfully edible looking color as opposed to pink or blue or what-not. Also, the blush really pops on a yellow face. I'll save the bright colors for the frosting.

Finally, on to the magnetic pin holder tutorial. Honestly, this is such an easy project that I can spell it out to you in one sentence, but if you're like me and love to see how-to photos . . . well, here we go --

The 5-Minute Magentic Pin Holder Tutorial

Materials:

-- peel & stick magnetic sheets or tape (I purchased this at my local Wal-Mart.)
-- a mint tin or similar small, shallow container
-- scissors
-- pen

Step 1. Clean your tin very well. I chose to use an Altoids mint tin for my pin keeper *Tip* If you're using an Altoid tin or similar mint tin, clean it with a wet paper towel and not by blowing it out. The cool, tingling sensation of peppermint candy dust in your eyeballs is not something I'd recommend.

Step 2. Using your tin as a template, trace around it onto the back of the magnetic strips/ sheet. ( My magnet came in a sheet that you can break apart into strips, but I kept it together in a solid sheet.)

Step 3. Now cut your outline. Be sure to cut inside the line you made as the inside of your tin is smaller than the outside. You might have to trim it a bit more afterwards.

Step 4. Once you've got the magnet to fit nice and snug, just peel, and stick it into place.

Yippee! Now you have a place to hold your pins and needles!

If you have extra time and are feeling super crafty, try decorating your tin. There's this whole world of artists dedicated to altered Altoid tins. Amazing!

14 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

I love your cupcakes! They're so tasty :) And thanks for the magnetic tin tutorial -- it's the perfect gift for my friends who sew, one of whom has a birthday coming up!

Carrie Me! said...

Those hoods are so adorable...are you putting these in your shop?

It's so funny because I love to alter tins, and never thought to make one for pins. Thanks for the inspiration =)

Amanda Carey said...

Your cupcakes are the cutest things ever! Seriously. :D

Tizzalicious said...

I love the bunny hats, and your cupcakes are cute as always!

The pin thing is such a smart idea! Mine are always all over the place!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found your blog (followed you from littlebrownrabbit), it's gorgeous!!! My daughter loves all things Blythe, I am therefore a proud grandmother to half a dozen lovely Blythe girlies. Your rabbits and cactus and cupcakes and little lamb hoods are all totally adorable!!! I must start saving my pennies, so that I can purchase a little something for my daughters Birthday (in June). I love the colours you use, you are one amazingly creative lady, I shall be back again, and again and again.
Lots of love and hugs
Sumea
xx

pigwidget said...

Oh I just love those Altoid tins :) After seeing all the altered art in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine with endless references to Altoid tins, I began the hunt for some and was delighted to find that you can get them in the UK and not just the US. Brilliant! B x

Unknown said...

very nice wooly lamb hats!i LOVE mine! and the bunny hat too! i think my new blythe will be arriving this week. she's on her way! the cupcakes are adorable as always! and you are right the blush does pop on the yellow. great idea with the tin! i'll have to try it!
thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! and thank you again for the dresses! they are so cute! i love them!
huggs!

harosa said...

merhaba canım ziyarete geldim bunlar çok güzel olmuş

Mod and Mint said...

Love the happy cupcakes, cute as always!
And good for you for using all of your wooly fabric. I imagine it's just as fun to sew that as it is Minky Fabric. All the fluff everywhere!

G3T Films said...

I did the same thing as your Altoid tin with the plate in my head. It's fantastic for keeping pins and needles on... of course, people keep thinking I'm part of a punk band...

The cupcakes are very cute. I liked them in the other colours too but the yellow is definitely cake-ier.

Cait said...

I love that altoid tin website! It's so inspiring. I covered one with cloth, which I use for earrings when I travel.
Your new creatures are lovely as always!

Cait said...

And funny you should use that word, because at one time we actually sing, "Gussy her up, gussy her up..."

=)

Unknown said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!

Sandy xox

Die Schaubude said...

...so pretty ....I just fall in love with such nice little hoods ;) greets Tanja